Chill Out

| Wednesday, April 21

Ok, I just need to take a deep breath and chill the frak out. If I were to go to the doctor anytime soon, I'm sure my blood pressure would be off the charts. I'm getting stressed out and irrationally worked up over the most asinine things right now.

Situation One - 
I'm still waiting to hear whether or not I'm gonna get the teaching transfer to something grades K-4 that I interviewed for last week. They have until May 21 to make the decision. That means another month of waiting. I'm not always that patient.

Situation Two - 
I'm starting to feel like I'm losing control of my 6th/7th grade reading intervention class. The 6th graders are still sweet and listen to whatever I say. They're nice and respectful, though they might try to talk over me sometimes.

The 7th graders have a major attitude, though, and act like my class is beneath them. Sadly, they're the ones that really need the help. Some of them have gotten rude and disrespectful over the past few weeks, and it really hurts. I've never had students be this blatantly rude to me before. Can you start to see why I want to leave middle school?



Situation Three - 
A student ran screaming down the hallway yesterday morning. His homeroom teacher is out on paternity leave, so I went out to investigate. It bothered me that much. I had to know who did it. I yelled out into the hall, "Freeze! Who just ran screaming down the hallway?" Once the culprit came out of the room, and I confronted him, I asked him why he did it.

His smart-ass response was, "I didn't run." I wanted to throttle him right then and there. Then he had absolutely no reason as to why he screamed in the hall. Chalk it up to stupid adolescent behavior, but it started my day off horribly. Why did I let it get to me so much?

Situation Four - 
We live in a condo. We own our condo. We're the only people in the complex (of four units) who currently own. We do not technically own our land, though. It's community property, but I'm fiercely possessive of my space.

A woman who is visiting from out of town at the condo on the far opposite end of the complex walked her two dogs in "our" yard tonight. I really wanted to go out an yell at her to walk the dogs in the large open field next to her family member's condo, but technically I had no right. I just had to sit and stew.

It's no wonder why I can't sleep right now. I'm wound tighter than two dollar watch. I really need to relax. I try. It's just not working... What's wrong?!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

*Hug* I know how you feel. I am so wound up I can't even think straight. I don't mean this to sound crass, but I am grateful I am not alone in the stressed out teacher blues

Kara said...

It's that time of the year, isn't it? Time for all teachers to start counting the days. I've got 23 left.

Heather said...

Did I ever tell you that I am about to graduate with a degree in Liberal Studies and that I came into college 5 five years ago with the intent of becoming an elementary school teacher? Oh, I didn't. Well... it's true! I am graduating on May 22 with a LS degree and a minor in child development. However, right before my (first) senior year of college, I figured out that I don't want to be a teacher. No way, no how. I had anxiety whenever I did my service learning in classrooms. I hated going, I hated being in a position where I was expected to teach kids something. Thank GOD for my minor studies because I can use that and my degree to go to grad school for an MA in Early Childhood Ed or Child Development. My room mate is finishing her credential program right now and I DO NOT envy her at all. I'm not trying to go all Debbie Downer on your job, I'm just saying that you entry definitely gives me peace about my decision to go in a different direction with my career goal. I don't love teaching enough to really enjoy a job like that. And teaching takes heart. So kudos to you for sticking to it, especially in middle school! I hope you get 1st or 2nd grade. Those are good grades.

Ally said...

Oh no. I can't imagine dealing with 7th graders regularly. I hope you are able to unwind a little bit soon!

Tabitha Wells said...

*hugs*

You know, the old saying seems to ring true, that when it rains it pours. Stress can never just come in little doses. It's like when one thing starts to give you an ulcer, all other possible things that could give you an ulcer start whacking you from every direction.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Post a Comment