I'm a Food Geek, Too.

| Saturday, May 29
A few weeks ago, some friends of ours were telling us about the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program they were taking part in this year. The hub and I had talked about it briefly last year, but weren't sure if we could afford it. You usually have to pay a few hundred dollars up-front for the whole growing season.

What this incredible program is, offered by many farms around the USA, is by purchasing a "share" in a local farm, you financially support their day-to-day operations and are rewarded weekly with a basket full o' fresh produce! The farm we've chosen to support this summer (well, all the way through October, actually) is Colvin Family Farm, and it's located not quite two hours outside the city where we live.

They deliver to the Farmers' Market that is only about 15 minutes away from our house, so we're looking forward to making this a nice Saturday morning outing every week for the next five months! What I'm totally geeking out about is the fact that I'm going to get to learn about so many new kinds of veggies that I've never cooked with and some that I've never even eaten before! I even had to look up how to use something and how to store something else. I'll try to post some recipes and pictures every once in awhile as I embark on yet another geek-venture!

This week's share included beets (I didn't even know how to store these!), tat soi, scallions, spinach, salad lettuce mix, bok choi, radishes, Russian Red Kale, and collard greens. Looks like a lot of salads and stir-fries this week. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I have plans for most of this, so I'll keep you updated. I'm super excited about next week because I was told our share would include my favorite veggie snack of all - snap peas!

Edited: First use of veggies was for lunch today! Made spinach salad. The greens were so good, all I did was dress them and throw on some tomatoes I already had.
Pumpkin Seed-Mustard Vinaigrette
I just threw things together to taste, so I'm guessing at proportions.
1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp German salad vinegar
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp Pumpkin Seed Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix it all together and toss with fresh spinach and tomatoes. Yum!

What veggies do you love? Recipe ideas to share?

5 comments:

Kris said...

I love this! Congrats for getting involved.
Salads and stir-frys pretty much sound like the way to go.
Store the beets like potatoes. Borscht? I guess you didn't get any cabbage, though.

Anna said...

That's a great idea! I wish we had something like that here. I love farmers' markets.

Emily Jane said...

There's a farmer's market starting up here in June I think - I didn't go last year but I am absolutely there this summer :) I love throwing strawberries cut up into salads to jazz things up a bit. Feta cheese, spinach, some kind of nuts too and a vinaigrette ALWAYS hit the spot!

Kara said...

@Kris
Thanks! It's been something we've been wanting to do for a while, support the local food industry more. It's better for the economy (and the food is MUCH tastier)!

@Annabelle
Once you move to NYC, check out LocalHarvest.org. There are TONS of CSAs that deliver shares for pickup in the city!

@Emily
Definitely check out the farmers' market! If the rich, black soil I remember seeing driving through southern MB is any indication, you'll be in for a treat!

I love making salads from farmers' market finds in the summer! But, alas, no strawberries. I'm allergic...

Ashley said...

I sooooo wish I could have a garden. I grew up helping plant one.

Post a Comment