And Then My Head Exploded...

| Friday, May 7
So, last night, I was on the verge of an anxiety-induced breakdown.  I've been stressing out waaaaay too much over the past three weeks on whether or not I'm gonna get this third grade job I interviewed for. Our school system is so large and bureaucratic, that I can't exactly call up and ask what the status is.  With two weeks left in this school year, I'd like to know where I'm gonna end up next year. Will I stay where I am or do I need to pack up my entire five-year accumulation of teaching stuff in my current classroom?! I about lost it last night when I got home based on a really small, ridiculous, and most definitely inadvertent trigger from another teacher.

And this is how I've been able to deal over the past twenty-four hours:


Snuggling on the couch with my sick hub watching old episodes of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer Season One while he reads me random tweets from Wil Wheaton.

--------------------------

Chatting with fellow 20sbers Alex, Mel, Jen, and Risha. Little does Risha know, but she totally talked me down last night. She's so awesome!

--------------------------

NyQuil. Yeah, I know. I have allergy problems. Sometimes I live off this stuff. And last night, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep without something...

--------------------------


Playing Yahtzee with some of my students this afternoon. Instead of doing something productive in my last class today, I pulled the board games out of storage. I really need to do that more often. And they got such a kick out of me playing, too.

--------------------------

Selling tickets at our school's annual carnival after school. Watching the faces of 5 and 6 year-olds light up when you hand them a strip of paper tickets is priceless. It can pretty much melt any heart. This is one of the reasons I want to teach the younger ones.

--------------------------

Coming home to a surprise order from ThinkGeek that my hub got for me!

 
--------------------------

And watching THIS!


I'm definitely looking forward to relaxing this weekend and hopefully seeing Iron Man 2. Any of you have great, unconventional ways to destress or calm an anxiety freak-out? Other great, lazy weekend plans? 

12 comments:

RAY J said...

Sounds like a lot of fun stuff to keep you occupied while you wait though!

Do you have Netflix? They have all 7 seasons of Buffy on InstantWatch right now if you don't own the DVDs - I put em on all there to watch at my leisure, as I only recall watching the first 2 seasons when it originally aired =)

What's the thing in the box? I can just see "Police" and "Box" on it and something about USBs

Kara said...

It's a TARDIS (Doctor Who) USB hub! And yes, I have NetFlix. That's how I'm getting my Buffy/Angel fix. And catching up occasionally on Who. I LOVE InstantPlay!!

Anonymous said...

hi from 20sb. and what do i do to calm a panic attack? i chew on a couch cushion while my husband proceeds to try his hand at modern dance for my amusement. true story.

Amy said...

What an awesome ThinkGeek score. Yay thoughtful hubbys. :)

I'm so excited to have no places to be this weekend. Especially as I think I'm getting a cold. I'm hoping to spend lots of time reading and drinking tea.

When I get stressed I have a few ways to ease it: I look for baby animal photos or cute cat videos, I cook recipes that require lots of dicing or throwing dough around, I take my camera outside and wander, and/or I read sections of Pride & Prejudice.

I hope you hear about the position soon!

Bree said...

surprises are always good :) hope you find out soon about work!

Unknown said...

I love Thinkgeek! Recently bought a stylus and a car charger with a A/C plug and can plug in a USB device. Sheldon needs to wear that shirt.

Kara said...

@Alabaster Cow
Welcome to C&C! Glad you found us. Also, sounds like your husband is as awesome as mine! Hooray for great men!

@Amy
Yeah, he rocks! I like to cook too, to destress. I once made a killer apple spice cake from scratch just because I needed to chop something! Also like your idea of looking at cute things online. Hope you enjoy the weekend!

@Bree
Thanks for being supportive! I should know this week sometime.

@Bobby
On the page for this shirt, they actually mention that hearing about it on BBT was their original inspiration before finding the website.

Unknown said...

Screaming. Writing. Vodka.

Tabitha Wells said...

Is that t-shirt a Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock shirt? and if so, WHERE CAN I GET ONE?!?!?!

Kara said...

@Tabitha
Yes it is! And they can be found at ThinkGeek

Emily Jane said...

Oh you got the doormat TOO?? What a rockstar of a husband you have!! The ST shirt I showed you was unfortunately too big so I'm going to have to get it taken in... but then it will be out in full force :)

ThinkGeek is the BEST!!

Dan McCormack said...

Man, do I love that localhost welcome mat. Even though my house is only like half a mile from yours, I'm going to have to get one of those too :) I'm a networking geek! It was meant to be!

Post a Comment